Segmentation is the division of a contact list into smaller groups based on shared interests, behaviours, or characteristics.
You can segment contacts based on any data field that you have collected.
Typically, segmentation is used in email marketing to deliver a more personalised experience to subscribers.
How to create a segment of your contacts in Wired Plus
Hover over ‘Subscribers’ on the navigation bar and select ‘Segments‘ from the dropdown menu.
Here, you will see a list of your active segments. Click ‘Add Segment‘ in the top right-hand corner to get started.
You will then be taken to the Segment Detail page. Here you can enter a name for your segment, and assign it to a folder.
When you’re done, click ‘Save‘ to start building your segment.
In the segment builder, you will be able to set your ‘Include Conditions’ and ‘Exclude Conditions’.
- Include conditions – Include contacts in the segment who meet X conditions.
- Exclude conditions – Exclude any contacts from the segment who meet Y conditions.
A segment is built based on AND/OR statements.
- AND statements – This logic will add the contacts who meet all of your conditions. For example, subscribers who are male AND opened your last campaign.
- OR statements – This logic will add the contacts who meet one or more of your conditions. For example, subscribers who are from Manchester OR Leeds.
Let’s take a look at this example in action:
To get started with building your segment, click ‘Add condition‘.
You will then see a list of condition types to choose from.
- Subscriber – Segment based on a contact’s specific data such as gender, age group, email address, and lead score.
- List – Segment based on which list a contact is in.
- Campaign – Segment based on a contact’s activity (or inactivity) against a campaign that you sent, including sends, opens, and clicks.
- Survey – Segment based on whether a contact completed a survey or not.
- Landing Page – Segment based on whether a contact visited a landing page or not.
- WebTrack – If you have WebTrack enabled on your Wired Plus account, you can also segment based on website activity and behaviour tracking.
- Orders – If you have an eCommerce integration enabled, you can also segment based on order data, such as previous purchases and average order value.
Once you’re done, click ‘Complete & View List’. This will load a list of the contacts who meet your segmentation criteria. You can edit your segment at any time.
How to edit, refresh, duplicate, or remove a segment
You can edit, refresh, duplicate, or remove a segment at any time by clicking on the small cog icon on the left of the segment name and selecting the relevant option from the dropdown.
20 email list segmentation ideas
The whole point of segmentation is to provide more relevant content to your subscribers. The segmentation possibilities are endless, but here are some ideas for you to consider:
- Buyer persona
- Job title
- Past purchases
- Purchase frequency
- Content topic
- Stage in the sales cycle
- Cart abandonment
- Landing page views
- CTA clicks
- Email opens
- Email non-opens
- Email clicks
- Device and email client
- Information collected through surveys
- Time zones
- Website activity