To ensure optimum email deliverability, you should consider using a custom domain. In this post, we’ll cover what a custom domain is, and how you can set one up for your Wired Plus account.
What is a custom domain?
A ‘domain’ usually refers to the title, or the name of a website. We then take this domain and use it for our email addresses e.g., email@example.com
A custom domain is a brand new domain, made specifically for you, and your email marketing needs. The domain will maintain your brand and online representation.
Custom domain certification
- SPF certified - Your custom domain should be SPF certified. This certification allows you to specify which IP addresses are allowed to send mail from your domain.
- Sender ID - It will also be certified through Sender ID – which is another way of verifying the domain. However, this type of verification may soon be obsolete as Microsoft Hotmail relied on it for authentication, but this is likely to be replaced in the future.
- Domain keys - Domain Keys allows a person or an organisation to claim responsibility for a message. This type of certification is designed by Yahoo, and uses cryptography to ‘sign’ messages. The email must be ‘signed’ so that the verifier understands where the message came from.
- DMARC compliant - A good email service provider will be DMARC compliant. This means, as a sender, you are protected from phishing attacks. This will also boost your deliverability.
Why do I need a custom domain?
There are three main benefits of using a custom domain for your emails:
- Keeps your transactional email separate - By using a custom domain for your email marketing, any responses will be sent back to it. This means your transactional or sales email address is kept separate. If you do receive any spam complaints your usual addresses won’t be affected.
- Improves brand recognition - Using a custom domain allows your customers to recognise your email at first glance. A custom domain will usually match your website domain and will build brand consistency. Creating your own custom domain enables you to build your own reputation. Your custom domain might be something like firstname.lastname@example.org. Your email is now easily recognised, and can be easily found in the inbox.
- Enhances deliverability - A good ESP will certify your custom domain, which will significantly boost your delivery. A branded custom domain will also boost your deliverability; as recipients recognise the sender, this should increase your open rates.
How to set up a custom domain
To set up a custom domain, the first thing you will need to do is purchase one. You can do this by contacting your Account Manager who will add the domain to your account.
When the domain is added to your account, this is managed inside Settings > Sending Domains. Double-check to ensure that the correct domain name is active in your account.
Once the domain is active, it can be used for sending an email campaign or to host a landing page. Simply choose the domain from the dropdown in your Campaign or Page set up: